cd wont boot on an old P200 box

Kevin McConnell kevymac at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 21:55:19 UTC 2004

--- Colin Charles <byte at aeon.com.my> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 15:42 -0400, Louis Garcia
> wrote:
> > Trying to install fc3 on a pentium 200mhz and the
> cd wont boot. Think
> > the bios is to old, installed fine on more modern
> boxes. Any ideas on
> > how to get fc3 on this sucker? A floppy boot disk
> would come in handy
> > about now.
>
> Not a development question, so off-topic for
> fedora-devel-list - good
> idea to post to fedora-test-list or just searched
> the archives of
> fedora-list
>
> Nonetheless, using Smart Boot Manager
> (http://btmgr.sf.net/) is probably
> a good solution for you

Since I didn't see them post it to the
fedora-test-list, I'll answer it here this one time:
It's probably not the machine itself.... it's most
likely the cdrom that came with the old p200 that's
the problem. When the boot manager switched to
isolinux, most pre-1997 cdroms stopped working. Try
flashing your BIOS and installing a new cdrom. That's
how I got my old pentium 200 to work.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE # 805299480800193 since July 2, 1999-- <Red Hat Certified Engineer>
Freedom in software, now freedom in life.
http://www.freestateproject.org/