status of ghostscript

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 13:48:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:19:10PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Similarly getting code into gs require upstream noticing (and getting
> authorisation to use) a patch, merge it into their main version, and
> _then_ wait for the next version so this one can be freed/gpl'd. Same
> problem -> different priorities, long wait -> huge patch queue.
>
> Getting patches in a common free fork would make it easier for upstream
> to find them, and provide a common root so fixes can be propagated
> quickly among free systems.

This is certainly quite a big pull for us to move to ESP Ghostscript,
IMHO.

There is also a community push to re-base ESP Ghostscript on GNU
Ghostscript 8.15.

Perhaps the best thing would be to switch to ESP Ghostscript first
(and iron out any problems that we come across) -- and then help with
the upgrade to 8.15.

Opinions?

Tim.
*/