linux registry (no, not that again!)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 23:00:48 UTC 2004

On 11/03/2004 02:22:13 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> I'm still not sure why this discussion is going on here...at the
> distribution level.
> Individual major projects will have to buy into this to be useful.
> The
> distribution maintainers is not going to be able to dictate to
> individual projects how to craft configuration schemes.  Are there on
> going discussions upstream inside major component projects like xorg
> or apache about this approach?

The developer of Elektra will soon be releasing a patch to x.org that
will create the elektra database from the conf file if it doesn't
exist. Right now he's collecting different x.org conf files in order to
test it, then he'll release the patch to the elektra list, then after
testing it will eventually get submitted to x.org

I think his patch to init has already been submitted to x.org and
either has been approved or is awaiting approval - with init, applying
the patch doesn't build an elektrified init unless you specify that's
what you want, and I suspect that will be the norm for most packages -
so that elektra isn't forced on any distribution, but becomes an
option.

In that respect, the fedora devel list is a good place to discuss it -
because fedora will need to choose wether or not it wants to use
elektrified builds of the apps. Also - some fedora specific stuff needs
to be elektrified, such as the init scripts (I'm sort of working on the
network init script now - which will completely alleviate the need
for /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts) and of course, kudzu and the
sysconfig-blah python scripts would need to be ported.

So some discussion I think is healthy on this list, though maybe it is
a bit premature, since there isn't (imho) critical mass yet of
elektrified applications to make switching worth it.