Does anyone else experience occasionnal xfs crashes?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Nov 4 15:47:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

For a few months now, I've been experiencing random xfs (the font server,
not the filesystem ;-)) crashes on my laptop running FC Dev. As it was a
system installed with FC back in January, which had run a binary
distribution of XFree86 4.4RC (because the Radeon Mobility 9600 is not
supported by 4.3), then upgraded to FC2, FC Dev and had plenty of custom
fonts here and there, I didn't bother much to look for the problem.

But I reinstalled FC3RC5 cleanly (complete format) Monday, and saw xfs
crash on the same day, even before having installed a single 3rd party
package or font!

The symptoms are quite nasty : If it happens when xscreensaver is running
and locks the display, then the login dialog simply never shows up and it
gives the impression that the computer is frozen, since even Alt+Ctrl+F1
takes a long time before actually switching to the console! If it's during
"normal" operation, then firefox often disappears, focus between windows
doesn't work anymore (actually, it almost does, but keyboard/mouse input
stops working sometimes, it can come back after "Alt+Tab"... weird), and
new applications _all_ fail to start.
Seth, could this be what you're seeing? Computer is still reachable by the
network, though, so probably not.

Even restarting xfs doesn't cure the running X... X needs to be completely
restarted before things start working normally again.

Right now, I'm running with "ulimit -c unlimited; xfs -nodaemon" on my
first console... but xfs still hasn't crashed again, so I'm still waiting
before I can expect being able to make a useful bug report. Still, I was
wondering, does anyone else suffer from the symptoms above? I found zarroo
bugs about xfs crashing in FC, so I'm a bit puzzled.
If you think you have this problem, just "service xfs status" and you'll
know for sure.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.649.radeon
Load : 1.14 0.78 0.80