Linux conceptual configuration problems

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 10:25:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:31:56 -0500, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just don't see the point of discussing this as something ready for
> inclusion in Fedora Core.

I was actually wanting to hear from you guys your opinion of Linux
usability problems (not GUIs, but the system as a whole), the
complexities of system configuration, and what paths you guys think we
have to go to solve them. I see Linux today as many separated programs
that were forced to work together, but not designed to do so. So the
system as a whole is not integrated.

What I'm trying to say is that customers (the most important people in
the world for all companies everybody here works to) see Linux as very
difficult, too many configuration files, in unknown places, that are
not related with each other, and softwares use to not make necessary
changes in each one to get automatically integrated in the system,
etc.

Linux is easy for me or for all of you. We have fun with it.
But for the real world out there that needs fast and simple
deployments it is not. And this is something that slows down Linux
adoption in some ways. Is this a too business-oriented discussion to
have in this list?

Regards,
Avi