Does anyone else experience occasionnal xfs crashes?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sat Nov 6 14:00:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:47, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a few months now, I've been experiencing random xfs (the font server,
> not the filesystem ;-)) crashes on my laptop running FC Dev. As it was a
> system installed with FC back in January, which had run a binary
> distribution of XFree86 4.4RC (because the Radeon Mobility 9600 is not
> supported by 4.3), then upgraded to FC2, FC Dev and had plenty of custom
> fonts here and there, I didn't bother much to look for the problem.

Me too.  I've had this under FC2 ever since it came out.  But I could
never figure out a good way of reproducing it.

For me, additional symptoms where that some gtk1 apps (take, say, xmms
or vncviewer) suddenly were using a font like courier.  At other times,
I had the same problem as you - the whole machine locking up, and only
logging in remotely and restarting xfs would help.

It's quite maddening, since I never found a trigger for it allowing me
to reproduce it.  But you're not seeing ghosts.

Thomas