A true package manager.

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Nov 6 15:38:25 UTC 2004

> I'd also like to see a dist upgrade that works instead of burning CDs or
> going through lengthy howtos on how to upgrade from FC55 to FC56
> because kernel 7.5 has some new whizbang module that requires
> modification of every config file in the system. Just as an example.
>

> Many comments on FC1 to FC2 were that "anaconda" just does a lot smarter
> on upgrades than yum/apt.  So, maybe a bit more poking around an online
> anaconda update without reboot to floppy or some hacked grub boot image
> would be great.

It's not that anaconda necessarily does 'smarter' things. It is that
anaconda is running OUTSIDE of the system. So less things can go 'boom'.

All of the items keeping you from upgrading from any release to the next
via yum or apt or up2date have all been related to changes to the
kernel.

fc1->fc2 lvm + selinux
fc2->fc3 udev + selinux

not much yum or apt or up2date can do about that.

-sv