RedHat forks OpenSSH?

Iago Rubio iago.rubio at hispalinux.es
Tue Nov 9 13:34:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 11:27, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 10:54:04AM +0100, Iago Rubio wrote:
> > With the new - 1 Oct - copyright law in spain you could face a 2 year
> > term at state jail, just for posession of a tool capable to decode the
> > ACSS algorithm.
>
> Remember to hand in your DVD player then  8)
:)

I know it's weird, and nobody - even judges - know how the hell this law
will be applied, but well, it's how things are going in Spain right now.

A lot of pressure on legislators was done by author's and editor's
societies - mostly by SGAE - and, with those new laws, if someone post
in a web site how to bypass DVD's protection using the OpenSSH included
algorithm - even ripping it out of OpenSSH - SGAE can fill a criminal
lawsuit against the site's owner, the tool's authors, the tool's
distributors, and anyone with this tool in his hard drive.

Just to draw a big picture about how copyright laws are hiting Spain, if
you buy a blank CD you must pay a fee - almost equal to the CD's price -
to be payed to singers affiliated to the SGAE, just for the shake you
have with this CD the posibility of copying a music CD.

I've just payed a fee of 1,50 euros to burn the fedore Core 3 release,
that will be payed to *some* singers affiliated to the SGAE. Weird,
isn't it ?

With this I mean, all those legal issues regarding copyrights, patents
and such, must be taken into account because laws are getting worst for
freedom - at least in US and Europe - and those laws can forbide the
distribution of the whole distro, and/or criminalize it's users.

--

NOTE: For those interested, the SGAE - a society of authors and editors
- have a lot of power here in Spain. Unfortunately they thing and

You can reach their page using the spanish search term "ladrones" -
burglars - in Google.

As they have high influence on legislators, I expect things going worst
here for Open Souce development regarding encoding/decoding algorithms,
copyright issues and software patents.

--
Iago Rubio