Why kernel source is not in Distribution that is installed

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Nov 10 00:01:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:02:42PM -0600, Otto Haliburton wrote:
> here is what I mean, the rpm installs the kernel to /usr/src/redhat, where
> in all old distribution it installed the source to /usr/src.  It is agreed

Actually, don't make it install there. Instead, set up a ~/.rpmmacros file
in your own home directory as described at:
<http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/>

Then, install the source RPM *not as root*, and build it in your own
account.

As others have said, please reference earlier discussion on this. If you
need help setting up the buildroot, e-mail me off-list.