Getting install time for an RPM

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 10:24:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:21:00AM -0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven said:
> > On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:10 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I have always wondered (setting here waiting for FC3 to install) how the
> >> install time for an RPM is calculated.
> >
> > It involves the square root of the median of the imaginary and real
> > parts of the complex number that is composed of the MAC address and MHz
> > of your cpu.
>
> So do I need to convert the MAC address from Hex first? What angle do I
> use for the imaginary number also?

ah but that's the hard question, the angle between the moon and mars, at
midnight of the last tuesday for which the (day of month + number of month)
was an even number.

> How does it know how many megs have pasted?

each RPM has in the header the size of the (unpacked) payload, and the
installer just keeps track of the rpms that are done vs the total.