Getting install time for an RPM

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Nov 11 14:47:32 UTC 2004

Avi Alkalay wrote :

> Why 'rpm -Uvh' or 'yum install' seems faster in FC3 ?
> Why KDE is waaaaaay faster than FC2 ?
> Why now my Cisco wireless works (after some tweeks) ?
>
> What was improved ?

...all the above... and more! :-)

I've also had this kind of feedback from regular end-users : The general
overall impression is "faster and snappier", which is really great news.

As for the individual questions above, yum is a lot faster since it uses
the new metadata format (no endless initial download of header files),
python pickles... and has been more or less entirelay rewritten since 2.0.
For rpm, maybe some not-so-needed internal checks have been disabled for
normal operation? KDE... I couldn't say, I don't use it myself.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.667.radeonfb
Load : 0.57 0.46 0.32