Java for FC3 (was: Re: Java status for FC4?)

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 02:41:58 UTC 2004

The work from JPackage is something that adds A LOT of value to the
Java-on-Linux world.
Before them, Java was a piece of junk that I had to throw someplace
under /usr/local (aaaargh) or /opt (yuc, arrrrrgh !!!) and define
manually one thousand envars.

JPackage provides an infrastructure to receive JVMs and Java
components and apps in a very organized way. Obviously all RPMs. (was
there any system organization before the invention of RPM? do you
folks remember Slack(argh)ware? they are still doing tar.gz!!)

I can't live without JPackage.

I just don't like their .nosrc.rpms, because of licensing issues.....
But this will change soon, now that Sun solved their legal problems
with Microsoft. Yes, I'm saying we are close to have an open source
JVM. From Sun or IBM. Or both.

I'm happy RHEL embraced JPackage packaging standards.

Thank you Nicolas, and JPackage team.

Regards,
Avi