Problems mounting digital camera on FC3

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Fri Nov 12 16:28:27 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:10:46AM -0500, Keven Ring wrote:
>

>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel:  sda:end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
>>sector 3999744
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda,
>>logical block 3999744
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
>>sector 3999744
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda,
>>logical block 3999744
>>

>We tried to read the EFI partition data. That kills some devices if they
>also report the size wrong (eg the ipod mini). You'll probably find that
>with a custom kernel it matters whether you have EFI partitioning on or
>off. If so let me know - it needs a USB quirk entry.

OK, I'll be sure to try it both ways in the custom kernel.

In terms of your second statement, the camera did have a 2G microdrive
on board at the time, so the line:
Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 3999745 512-byte hdwr
sectors (2048 MB)

is at least indicating the correct size.  Of course, if the sector size
wasn't 512 bytes, then there could be problems.. :)  To be honest, I
have no clue what the camera sets the sector size to be.

Thanks for the quick insight.

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -