Problems mounting digital camera on FC3

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Sun Nov 14 01:25:18 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:10:46AM -0500, Keven Ring wrote:
>

>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel:  sda:end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
>>sector 3999744
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda,
>>logical block 3999744
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
>>sector 3999744
>>Nov  9 14:31:18 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda,
>>logical block 3999744
>>

>We tried to read the EFI partition data. That kills some devices if they
>also report the size wrong (eg the ipod mini). You'll probably find that
>with a custom kernel it matters whether you have EFI partitioning on or
>off. If so let me know - it needs a USB quirk entry.

The stock FC3 kernel has the EFI_PARTITION enabled (not sure why - the
help for this item suggests that it is only useful on an IA-64, which my
machine is not...).

I built a stock 2.6.9 kernel, and disabled the EFI_PARTITION (and
nothing else).  With this kernel, I can mount the camera and modify the
contents of the mounted fs.  The camera is not automounted, however...

If there are other tests that you would like me to conduct, please let
me know.  I won't be able to get to them until next weekend, though..

Thanks for the help to date!