Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:13:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:48:19 +0000, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:29:48 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > If solutions for those scenarios came to Linux (and no, I don't like
> > wine) natively - I wouldn't need Windows.

Me neither.

> Why don't you want to use Wine for these things? I got a track from iTMS
> yesterday on Linux, without a copy of Windows, using Wine. It solves
> your problem using free software as much as possible, in a convenient
> manner, but you'd rather reboot to Windows and use 100% proprietary stuff
> instead? That makes no sense.

Have you ever asked why RH removed Wine from the distro ?
Well, it is better to let some Red Hatter to respond that, but I can
tell that IBM will never propose some migration solution based on Wine
because it is an open implementation of a proprietary thing. In other
words, it is proprietary, which means "legal issues". Windows APIs are
a propriety of Microsoft.

Other minor Wine issues are:
- Businesses look at it as an ad-hoc solution
- You can't be sure if all your apps will run there

Regards,
Avi