Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Nov 16 19:27:33 UTC 2004

tir, 16.11.2004 kl. 13.40 skrev Avi Alkalay:

> > All of those are nice - but are they "killer apps" for Linux? No - it is
> > merely supporting functions which make the OS nicer.
>

> All those points you guys put here are real and I like them, specially
> M. Peters yum argument.
>
> But it is all useless, from a business perspective, if your users have
> to use apps built with proprietary technologies, like VB, Delphi, etc.
> And 99% of today´s workplace desktops have to run some business app
> made with these frameworks. A desktop is not only a Browser and an
> Office Suite. I hope some day it will be, with industry initiatives
> like portal, etc.

Delphi exists for Linux. Sadly (i know it is a shitty language, but it
is fast to learn and develop small things in), VB doesn't.

> But personaly, I´m not really sure FC3 (not just Linux) is ready for,
> say, my mother to use. And she does only browsing, e-mail and
> messenger. She is already using Firefox on Windows though.
>
> The server perspective follows the same rules: If you have a server
> app built on top of proprietary technologies (ASP, .NET, Cold Fusion,
> etc), I´m sorry Linux, but there is no room for you. Go see the
> infrastructure department if there is something for you, and come back
> tomorrow to this business section.

On the server side things are looking better - as far as i can see,
Linux is often the preferred platform here for developers to develop on,
simply because it is the most widespread.

> The bottom line is: operating systems do not solve business problems
> alone. They need apps that implement some enterprise business logic.
> So the OS is defined by the higher level application your datacenter
> MUST run. Sad but true.

agreed

> If you have all your business apps built with standards like J2EE,
> etc, Linux is ready today for deployment. From the simplest caching
> DNS server, to the biggest SAP, ERP, CRM implementation you can
> imagine.
>
> The most effective way to make Linux more popular is convincing
> DEVELOPERS (the guys that make business and killer apps) to start
> developing on Linux.

agreed