FC4 wishes

Trever L. Adams tadams-lists at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 16 22:03:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 16:57 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 14:53 -0700, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> > Yes, but my wife doesn't know that much about computers. Second off, I
> > currently don't use gdm. I have thought about it, but not yet.
>
> Those are both problems on your end and not something Fedora should or
> even can solve for you.  You need to either:
>
> a) teach your wife how to set her language,
> b) set it for her,
> c) use the graphical tools like GDM that Red Hat intends for you to use
> that allow the nice point-n-clicky setting of the language.
> --
> Sean Middleditch <elanthis at awesomeplay.com>
> AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.

Normally, I would agree with you one hundred percent. However, it is
often useful to change languages in the middle of a computing session.
And maybe I am the only one who agrees with this.

a) and b) I have set it for her and I will teach her.
c) gdm causes problems on another computer. The bug was reported by
someone else but doesn't seem to have changed, it also seems to be a bit
bloated.

As for not being able to, I am not asking for computer lessons for my
wife, I can do that bit by bit myself. However, offering the tool inside
of the session so it can be changed within the session (obviously only
for newly started programs) is the right thing to do in my opinion.

However, as I play with this, I find that the new applications pull the
i18n data from already running pieces of the system. So, I suppose the
entire point is useless.

I will go away and be quiet. However, to blindly suggest that a problem
is with the user, and not with a system design (for usability) is not
accurate. Yes, if I didn't want to be able to change within a session,
you are correct; HOWEVER such is far from the case.

Trever
--
"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the
letters get in the wrong places." -- A. A. Milne (1882-1958)