Boot poster challenge

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 23:29:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 05:34:18PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>  > > One thing that really sticks out in this one for me
>  > > is rhn-applet-gui. That thing is just huge.
>  > That's the flashy "update me" thingy in the notification area, right?
>  > First thing I kill after reinstalling :)
>
> Yes. Also known as "evil force of forceful evil" in some circles.

Utterly. On multihead boxes I've seen it take 30% of the total CPU time
and 20% of the network bandwidth. Its eeeeevil because it should be a
service daemon so it runs *ONCE* and it should chat over dbus or something
to the display which -should-not-flash- - it's very bad UI design (movement
out of the user focus area is distracting) and sucks resources.

If someone could have that fixed and in testing tomorrow that would be
fantastic ;)

Alan