Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

Stephen Pollei stephen_pollei at comcast.net
Tue Nov 16 23:53:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 15:13, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> Virtualization sounds more likely to provide a somewhat sane solution
> than emulation to me, how is emulation ever going to be anything but dog
> slow?
Wine Is Not Emulation -- From http://winehq.org/ :
[[Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X
and Unix.

Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine does not require
Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation
consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use native
system DLLs if they are available.]]

Also see myth #1 at http://winehq.org/site/myths .

Furthermore http://reactos.com/ is planning to use wine to share as much
programming effort as possible. And some people have gotten some wine
DLLs to work as replacements under native windows.

Think of it as being like lesstif is to motif.
I don't use wine myself though BTW.

--
http://dmoz.org/profiles/pollei.html
http://sourceforge.net/users/stephen_pollei/