Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 17 00:14:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 15:53 -0800, Stephen Pollei wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 15:13, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> > Virtualization sounds more likely to provide a somewhat sane solution
> > than emulation to me, how is emulation ever going to be anything but dog
> > slow?
> Wine Is Not Emulation -- From http://winehq.org/ :
> [[Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X
> and Unix.

;)

If you hadn't snipped the text right above the lines you quoted, you'd
see that it was Alan Cox suggesting that running Windows in qemu might
be an option that is easier for some companies than Wine is. qemu _is_
an emulator that tries to be speed-smart; reading Alan's further
comments perhaps it can be significantly better than I realized at
speed. But thanks anyways.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University