general question about lazy loading of shared libraries

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 08:00:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 20:06 -0500, John Ellson wrote:
> >I don't know an easy way to tell exactly what pages of the libraries
> >you are using are touched and thus read off disk at start up... and it's
> >not even a well defined question - you can't tell if a page was
> >read because of your app or because of another app.

but you can tell which pages are in memory at least. If people want I
can code a small app for this

> I'm working on Graphviz graph layout tools that support multiple
> renderers.

that kind of sounds like a plugin situation, for which dlopen is quite
suitable.

> Does the deferred paging depend on prelinking having been performed?

no that happens always (even with the main binary btw); the difference
prelink makes is that without prelink you need to touch (and thus load)
more pages even if you don't use the library, for relocations.