Various Fedora Extra changes (mailing list?), plus is APT now deprecated?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Nov 20 16:41:26 UTC 2004

I guess this e-mail is a long time in coming.  Please understand I have
the utmost and sincerest respect for everyone's hard work, but it's time
to ask some tough questions.

First off, I want to point out this 2004Sep19 post to Fedora-Devel:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-September/msg00879.html

So where is this announce list?  Or is there a discussion list?  Or is
the traffic part of fedora-devel now (I assume not)?

Secondly, while Fedora Extras packages have yet to be released for
Fedora Core 3, I could not even do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" as various
APT index files are seemingly lacking from the Fedora.US site just for
the "OS" (Fedora Core) portions (hoping the existing set of Fedora
Extras for Fedora Core 2 would suffice, since FC2 and FC3 are pretty
much "ABI compatible").  So, is APT distribution now being deprecated
for Fedora?  Or should Fedora.US be considered basically "off-limits"
for Fedora Core 3 right now.

[ I know I could built my own APT repository, and solve the issue, which
I might. ]

Lastly, can someone detail the changes in the rollout of Fedora Extras
packages for Fedora Core 3?  I would very much like to better understand
the new release management for Fedora Extras.  As a major proponent of
proper lifecycle and configuration management, I can not only
understand, but even appreciate delays in such release.  So I don't mind
waiting at all, but would like to understand the changes in Fedora
Extras for Fedora Core 3.

Thanx for fielding these questions in advance.  I will continue to truly
appreciate all the hard work of Red Hat and Fedora volunteers.

-- Bryan J. Smith
   General Annoyance

P.S.  And not to throw any bigotry into the questions, hence why this is
a "P.S.," but I haven't seen a good explanation on why YUM is getting
preference over APT in current Red Hat Fedora moves?  I heavily prefer
APT for various reasons, and would like to understand what advantages of
YUM I am missing?

Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith at ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux
Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) assumes experts for the former, costly
retraining for the latter, omitted "software assurance" costs in
compatible desktop OS/apps for the former, no free/legacy reuse for
latter, and no basic security, patch or downtime comparison at all.