(boot improvement experiments) Re: Boot poster challenge

Franco Catrin fcatrin at tuxpan.com
Sun Nov 21 18:18:17 UTC 2004

El sáb, 20-11-2004 a las 09:25 -0800, David Corrigan escribió:
> > - I prepared an readahead.early.files running strace -e trace=open on X
> > and gdm
>
> Could you provide some more details about how the readahead files are
> created and loaded?

basically:

strace -e trace=open executabletobetraced 2> executable.log

then I apply a mix of grep/cut/sort to get a list of files being opened,
something like:

grep RDONLY | grep -v DIRECTORY | grep "^open" | grep -v "such file" |
cut -c7- | \
 cut -d"\"" -f1  | sort -u | grep -v "^/home/" | grep -v "^/proc/" | \
grep -v "^/tmp/" | grep -v "^/dev"

(I think it could be simpler that that)

> I ran strace in the terminal and it said the X server was already
> running so I assume I need to have it start X. Where does the command
> need to be executed?

if you plan to strace X, I recommend you to go to runlevel 3 and do it
from there

--
Franco Catrin L.  TUXPAN
http://www.tuxpan.com/fcatrin