Possibly offtopic : Binary only driver

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Nov 21 20:12:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 04:34:36PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> From a desktop users POV a bug in the kernel or a bug in the X server
> drivers are basically equivalent, both kill the session dead.
> Userspace/kernelspace doesn't matter in that instance.

I do X development, I must disagree. Most X screwups result in either a
return to text mode and a logged signal catch, or at least the ability to
log back in and clean up/reboot nicely. Very important on server systems.
The work Jon Smirl is doing is aimed at significantly reducing the number
of occurences where such clean up/reboot is required.