Boot poster challenge

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sun Nov 21 22:41:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 05:51:49PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 11:28 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > while in
> > single user mode and without concurrent activity:
> >
> > for foo in $list:
> >   cp $foo $foo.new
[...]
> > We could expect filesystems to allocate the new blocks (data and possibly
> > metadata) more or less sequentially on disk. What would led the filesystem
> > code to not be sequential (most of the time assuming a single block device
> > underneath)
>
> nope this doesn't work; while each file individually will be sequential,
> they are not sequential on disk. Note: teh files already aren't
> fragmented, at least on my testsystem.

  yeah, but why does ext3 allocator doesn't allocate consecutive blocks
for such a pattern ? Directory locality ? Still wondering :-)
It must be possible one way or another to do this without going though
very complex reservation interfaces. The problem is not to 100% garantee
we will not seek at all while going though this bunch of files but
to have only a reasonable amount of seeks. Suppose there is only 10 seeks
instead of a single block that would amount only for 1 tenth of a second
delay on "normal" hardware.

Daniel