Possibly offtopic : Binary only driver

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 22 03:36:25 UTC 2004

On 11/21/2004 07:28:44 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Anecdotal.
>
> SP1 to SP2 of XP caused me more issues than any linux upgrade ever
> did.
> I had to boot SP2 in recovery mode to uninstall virus software that
> Microsoft recommended as a good vendor for virus checking because the
> software had a kernel driver that did not work with SP2 - and unlike
> Linux where a module just simply doesn't load but boot continues,
> WinXP completely refused to boot except to that aweful emergency mode
> thing. All because of virus protection software, which definately
> should not have prevented XP from booting.

I would also like to note my experience with a SCSI card - Linux booted
no problem with both internal and external drives attached, Windows
would boot with one or the other - but not both. Termination and SCSI
ID's were not the issue.

The Linux driver was open source in the kernel. The windows card was
proprietary closed source.