Addition : Ink Level

Charles Lopes tjarls at iee.lu
Tue Nov 23 16:46:28 UTC 2004

Colin Walters wrote:

>I don't have any immediate thoughts on a UI for the person *maintaining*
>the printers.  Seems like that could just be a cron job or something
>that sends email.

IMHO system-config-printer would be a nice place to have access to this
type of information, in particular on a home computer. If the computer
is part of a larger park, there should already be a site wide monitoring
infrastructure where to fit this information (nagios, e-mail, syslog,
snmp, pager). A small command line tools that can be used in scripts
would go a long way to ease integration of such information in an
existing infrastructure. I noticed that many network printers send
warnings about low level of ink/toner by syslog if a syslog server
attribute is sent to them by DHCP and can be queried by snmp. Doing the
same could be a good start.