Addition : Ink Level

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 19:35:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:51:07 -0500, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> When do you want to know if a printer is running out of ink?  I think
> the answer is: when you want to print to it, or if one of your jobs is
> printing or queued to be printing on that printer.  If you're not
> printing, then unless you're the person maintaining the printers, you
> don't care.

> I don't have any immediate thoughts on a UI for the person *maintaining*
> the printers.  Seems like that could just be a cron job or something
> that sends email.

You miss the point sort of. I think there will be situations where
people(secretaries and office adminstrators) responsible for making
sure printers in a department of a larger network are fed with paper
and ink are going to want to make status requests about printers and
not just wait to be notified by the system, when there is a problem.

Personally, on a multiuser network where people share printers, I'm
primarily concerned about a way to know before i submit the job
whether the printer is low on ink or not. As long as I can be aware of
ink level information before i choose a printer ( for applications
that have modern printer support that is, gedit would be the conanical
example) my specific needs as a normal user who doesn't maintain the
printers will be met.

-jef