FC3 memory usage problem

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Nov 26 17:44:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:07:59 -0500, Peter Arremann wrote:
> I just upgraded my laptop from FC1 to FC3 a few days ago and since then I'm
> seeing terrible memory usages. The laptop has 1GB plus 1GB swap but I've ran
> it out of memory by simply using openoffice, mozilla and a few other smaller
> kde apps. Nothing similar has ever happened to me before and I checked
> everything I can come up with without result.

This does seem to be a problem. SpamAssassin in particular launches 5
copies of itself, each using ~8mb of memory. Killing them all releases
about a third of the RAM in use on my machine typically. I'm planning on a
bugzilla session maybe sometime tonight or this weekend where I file all
the random stuff like this ...

BTW there is a known bug (!) in Firefox/Mozilla that means it leaks memory
when closing tabs, ie it doesn't actually appear to free any memory at all
(or at least the heap may be fragmented). Closing and restarting Firefox
can normally release a lot of memory.