Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 15:18:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:49:13 -0500, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:25:09AM -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> >    The xorg.conf file (as most Unix configuration files) was designed for
> >    human beings.
>
> It was designed for both humans and software and includes a bundled library
> for working with the file itself.

Yes, and I used this library, and I can say it is completely dependent
on X source. It is a very complex lexical analyzer, that works with
many complex C structures.

A 7-button mouse vendor won't spend time to learn it to make a sort of
driver installation program. In fact, I don't know anybody outside the
X.org project that uses it.

> >    The Elektrifyied X server also works for the Red Hat Graphical Boot,
> >    where you still don't have mounted partitions, network, etc.
>
> But presumably breaks system-config-display and all the related tools ?

Of course. This is a first step.
Does system-config-display uses the X.org library? I think this tool's
developer simply learned the xorg.conf format and wrote code to
generate it.

And system-config-display, as far as I know, is a monolitic tool that
don't permit HW vendors, or X plugin writers, to independently extend
it. Whit a key/value pair paradigm, these folks can write a 10-line
Shell script to correctly integrate itself in X, without having to
deal with a lexical parser, complex structs, and C.

Regards,
Avi