sniff - It doesn't know me anymore..

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Fri Oct 15 15:40:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:49:29 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>Urk...
>
>What you should have done was REMOUNTED / ro... unmounting root is an
>incredible stupid thing to do (and i have no clue why your box did not
>panic INSTANTLY...)

Thanks very much for your reply. Suffice to say that I take my role as
tester seriously. I do tend to explore the fringes of Murphy's law though.

I have my system up and running now. doing a 'mv / /old' preserved my old
system and I installed FC2-3 from CDs (this process is not quite ready for
prime time - will add some notes later).

A 'yum update' which loaded in 642 updates last night worked pretty nicely.
It is loading a fresh batch of updates this morning as I write.

I do have some configuration updates to make. Doing a 'mv /old/home/user1
/home/user1' took care of my user configurations, but the /etc files may
not behave well if I did the same thing there..  Murphy has its limits.

----

I guess the best way to have cleaned up my root filesystem would would have
been to boot up from my other disk (RH9) and do e2fsck on it when it was
not part of a running system. The majority of newbies to Linux may not have
these extra resources though.

---- Thanks very much for your suggestions (below). They seem quite
reasonable. Perhaps you can add these to the 'what to do if things go very
wrong' part of the On line Linux documentation.

BobG