udev strangeness with latest rawhide

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Sat Oct 16 10:41:12 UTC 2004

Le samedi 16 octobre 2004 à 19:44 +1000, Russell Coker a écrit :
> Running the latest rawhide I get AVC messages indicating that /bin/udev
> (not /sbin/udev) is running in kernel_t during the early stages of system
> boot.
>
> /bin/udev is the file name used in the initrd!

$ zcat /boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.624.img | cpio -iv -m -d
$ ll -d bin sbin
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 oct 16 11:50 bin
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    3 oct 16 11:50 sbin -> bin
$ ll bin/udev
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 557808 oct 15 18:05 bin/udev

>   So it seems that after the SE
> Linux policy is loaded (IE after /sbin/init has been run from the main root
> fs) there is still a copy of udev from the initrd being run.

There are some sleep() in udev.  hotplug/udev/... are launched in
background. Modprobe/insmod can return even if udev has not finished its
job.
$ grep insmod init
insmod /lib/raid0.ko
insmod /lib/jbd.ko