rawhide report: 20041015 changes

Jeff Moyer jmoyer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 18:38:57 UTC 2004

==> Regarding Re: rawhide report: 20041015 changes; "Nils O. Selåsdal" <NOS at Utel.no> adds:

NOS> Build System wrote:
>> kernel-2.6.8-1.624
>> - support O_NONBLOCK for read,pread,readv of regular files.
NOS> I'm just beeing curious here, how is it determined that a read of a
NOS> file will block ?  Does it mean select() will not present a regular
NOS> file a always readable anymore ?

A read of a file will block if the data you are requesting is not yet in
the page cache.  Select will not be modified, though other options (epoll)
are being considered.  Note that the O_NONBLOCK patch has been reverted for
the time being, since it breaks many applications.

-Jeff