Removable storage devices and sync

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 28 15:32:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:20 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:19:38AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Nope, the point of mounting 'sync' is to ensure that all IO is done
> > synchronously to ensure that data is written to the disk in the event
> > that the user yanks out the device without properly unmounting it.
>
> Yes, I know that. But why the different handling for large and small
> devices? Should not all external devices be mounted sync? I can
> pull out an external hard disk just as easy as an USB stick.

Because 'sync' kills performance which is noticeable on USB harddisks
and not on USB sticks (flash memory is slow). In the future we will do
this using a combination of a) per device hal device information files;
and b) preferences coming from the logged in users settings.

Right now, looking at the size is the best heuristic we got, sorry.

David