mail gui

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 01:07:32 UTC 2004

On 10/30/2004 02:17:54 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Saturday, October 30, 2004 7:20 PM +0000 "Michael A. Peters"
> <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> postfix should be the default mta in a chroot jail.
>> It satisfies the needs of the vast majority of users - and I think
>> has  a
>> cleaner codebase and is easier to config then sendmail.
>
> In the default case, what's to config?

Even in the default case postfix is better. You can run it more
securely in a chroot jail than you can sendmail, and it's security
record isn't nearly as blemished as sendmail.

And for cases where you do need to change default configuration, for
the vast majority of them postfix is both easier to configure and more
secure.

But Fedora won't change to postfix because of management people of the
kind you see in Dilbert who insist upon sendmail in RHEL and if they
aren't going to switch to postfix in RHEL then they won't switch to
postfix in Fedora.

The Fedora merger I had hoped would shoot for desktop market - but
instead it shoots for a testing platform for RHEL. This is probably
also why they royally screwed up the benefits of rpm by now WITHOUT
WARNING allowing files from one rpm to replace files of another.

I hate this kind of smurf. It is the wrong thing to do.
Oh well.

/rant