"Stateless Linux" project

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Oct 1 14:55:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:43, "Bryan K. Wright" <bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU>
wrote:
> Another possible user-space option would be something based on SGI::FAM.

We are moving away from FAM for security reasons.  Giving all user processes
access to a daemon running with read access to all files on disk is not
something that we desire.

Also doesn't dnotify etc take significant amounts of RAM when monitoring large
numbers of files?

> Moving out of user space, and requiring some of development, you
> could have the kernel's VFS layer generate a notice, maybe via DBUS,
> whenever a file changes.  It'd be nice to be able to turn this on only

This has some awkward possibilities.  I can imagine DBUS changing a file,
causing a notification which then makes DBUS change a file...