/var/run/directory/

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Oct 4 05:15:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:50, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Colin Walters (walters at redhat.com) said:
> > It can be a very significant amount of work to change a daemon to run as
> > non-root, like dhcpcd.  Also you can't fix third-party apps.  And you
> > still reduce the problem to just a few instead of solving it.
>
> While creating a new problem for finding pid files... do you go
> by the service name? The server name? Something else?

How would the problem be any greater than it is right now?  In terms of what
name to use (service, server, or something else) it's exactly the same issue
as we have at the moment with /var/run/something.pid.

I bet that almost no-one can name both pid files for Sendmail from memory.  If
they were in /var/run/sendmail there would be no doubt.