RFE: More on mounting + a question about the "console" flag

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 13:49:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 15:35 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

> Then, 2 minutes later, another user logs in, pulls up his/her floppy,
> and... the floppy is mounted. Cant get it umounted, and can't mount
> his/her floppy. Grr...

Yeah, it's a perennial problem.  I guess people are trying to solve it
with user-space proxy filesystems and the like.  Not sure how mature
they are.

> But what if all volumes that the user mounted when he/she was logged on,
> automatically got umounted when the user who mounted it logs out? That
> would solve it.

Hmmm.  The argument against that I guess is that the user could want it
to stay mounted for one of their cron jobs or something.  Maybe that's
sufficiently obscure that we could ignore it.  But it still doesn't
solve the case of a user just ejecting the disk before logout.

> About the "console" flag: would a user sitting on an XDMCP terminal be
> considered a console user or not?

No.

>  How is it determined if he/she is a
> console user or not?