Future of Stateless Linux

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Mon Oct 4 21:10:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:36:55PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> You can save yourself some trouble with this as anaconda can do the MAC
> digging for you - from command-line.txt of anaconda docs:
[...]
> 		helpful for provisioning systems.  Includes MAC address
> 		of all nics in a CGI environment variable of the form

I remember looking at this, but avoiding it because of the case of a
system with several NICs. How do you know which is the one that talks to
the server? I was not sure if you could assume that it was the first
one (#0). And I am not sure if dhcpd lets you assign the same IP to two
different MAC addresses. Which might be a bad idea anyway, depending on
your circumstances.

To be fair, the case of a system with multiple NICs was more
hypothetical than otherwise in my setup, but I preferred erring on the
side of caution: if someone swaps cables, DHCP requests get ignored,
making the problem more obvious - in other environments this could be
the wrong thing to do.

All of this leads to another question, though: how to deal with machines
with several network adapters? A classic example is a laptop with both
Ethernet and 802.11.

--
Rudi