rawhide report: 20041007 changes - rpm

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Oct 7 15:20:59 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Steve G <linux_4ever at yahoo.com> said:
> >rpm-4.3.2-10
> >------------

> I just looked at the srpm to download it. FTP is showing the file size
> as 24Mb!!  The -5 version is only 7Mb in size. What happened? Did
> binary files get into the rpm tarball? I haven't downloaded it to look
> since it will take 2-3 hours to do that.

I just untarred and retarred the rpm-4.3.2.tar.gz from
rpm-4.3.2-10.src.rpm, and it shrunk from 24317156 bytes to 8109624.
Something went wonky when that tarball was created; if I gunzip it, I
get a rpm-4.3.2.tar that is 130867200 bytes but only extracts to about
half that size.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>