gnome-volume-manager blank CD defaults

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Sat Oct 9 12:31:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 06:09, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:43:54 -0400, "Bryan Clark" <bclark at redhat.com>
> said:
>
> > Popping up the filemanager, especially since burn:// is just a blank
> > window isn't the best thing to do either.  What we should work on is
> > improving our CD burning interface so it's not so bare.
>
> This may be complete crack, but just in case... It occurred to me that
> the burn:// window is a completely blank area that the user will
> automatically look at when it appears.   If you put an icon and/or a
> line of text as the window background then the user can be cued as to
> what to do next without introducing anything else to the interface.
> "Drop files here to write them to CD" in soft grey, for example.

Hmm, I don't seem to think it is crack.  Of course I need to ask Brian
and Seth about this since they are the UI experts but adding a default
background is easy to do for any folder in Nautilus.  This is similar to
how mac used to give folder directions.  They used to have icons with
text and an arrow pointing to a file that would say, "Drag this file to
your system folder to install".  Thanks for the suggestion.

--
J5