Default browser of FC3?

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Oct 10 14:54:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:22:48AM -0400, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> Ask any Camino developer why are they wasting their time developing a
> mozilla-based browser for Mac instead of just using firefox and the
> answer is probably going to be "because firefox doesn't fit with the
Mac
> philosophy". Firefox is pretty much a Windows app.
>
> In my opinion, the browser issue should be solved by desktop.
>
> Gnome -> Epiphany
> KDE -> Kemelon (or the mozilla-based Konqueror)
> Windows -> Firefox
> MacOS -> Camino

Purely on the philosophy/integration front, I'd think Internet Explorer
should be the best browser for Windows....  Which points to the fact
that there are more important things to consider than philosophy and
integration ;-)

The fact that firefox and epiphany both use Mozilla under the hood means
there's a lot less difference between the two than firefox and IE,
though.
My main question is: which browser will help a new user justify his
choice to migrate from Windows?  Does either browser lack necessary
features from their MS counterpart?  What features give them a clear
advantage over IE?  Someone switching from Windows is going to find a
lot of things that are strange under Fedora whether or not its all
consistent.  The important thing is that they walk away thinking that
the differences are better (enhance productivity, security, fun,
etc....)

I heard someone mention built-in popup blocking in Firefox.  Is there
equivalent functionality for Epiphany that we do/can ship?  Any other
features that one browser or the other has that people will miss when
they have to use IE on Windows?

-Toshio

P.S. Every day I use Windows at work I find myself thinking if only I
had grep or tabbed browsing or... right now this would be so much
easier.  I think that's a good sign for us.  I think the more of those
moments people have on Windows, the better :-) Conversely, I think we
want to minimize those moments when a Windows user is running under
Fedora. The web browser is one of the non-commandline applications where
we can make this happen.

--
  t  o  s  h  i  o  +  t  i  k  i  -  l  o  u  n  g  e  .  c  o  m