thunderbird, IMAP, and STARTTLS

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Oct 11 08:45:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 05:17 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 11.10.2004 schrieb Sam Varshavchik um 4:53:
>
> > > Which IMAP server offers IMAP/TLS on port 143?
> >
> > Pretty much all of them.
>
> Ok, I always configures IMAPs with usage of port 993, simply because
> otherwise you can't force the users to use the secured connection.

I don't actually have an imapd listening on _either_ port 143 or 993.
Instead, mail clients are configured to 'ssh $mailserver exec imapd' and
authentication is done by ssh-agent/ssh-askpass.

This works fine with Evolution, Pine, Mutt, etc., and I can even use
'ssh -C' to get compression as an added bonus... does it work with
Thunderbird?

--
dwmw2