Yum .hdr files massive

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:32:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:14:15 -0400, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> I don't want to be supercareful. In fact, getting this involved in the
> way the packages get downloaded is not worth the time.

Instead of being fancy and trying to work around servers that dont
understand byteranges with connection breaking or whatnot...

How much work would it be to implement a check client side to prevent
a redownload if the full package was downloaded in the previous
byterange step into the headers directory? When the server doesn't
handle the byte range information correctly is there a problem just
copying over the full download from the header directory into the
packages directory?

And is there any textual information that yum can give to a user to
inform them their chosen mirror doesn't handle byteranges correctly?
The best way to prevent this problem from being widespread, and thus a
way to prevent people from refiling this as a bug over and over again,
is to find a way to inform them to choose a different mirror.

-jef