Default browser of FC3?

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Tue Oct 12 11:49:26 UTC 2004

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>Le mardi 12 octobre 2004 à 06:48 -0400, Ricardo Veguilla a écrit :
>

>>Well, epiphany isn't trying (as far as I know) to establish itself as
>>the ultimate browser or to become the most popular browser in order to
>>ratify being the default Gnome browser. And I don't think it needs to.
>>Epiphany is the default Gnome browser because, the Gnome folks decided
>>it was the kind of browser they wanted as official browser.
>>

>However if epiphany is not interested by the masses then it has no
>business being Fedora's default browser (as the Firefox people argue now
>and others did in the past). Fedora is anything but a niche
>distribution.

Again, default browser only means, that it will be used by those who
don't know any other browser.
If I use firefox (which will be included in FC3) I will look for it in
the Application menu.

Its pretty simple, here are the two scenarios:

a) I know what browser I want to use, (firefox, mozilla, konqueror or
epiphany). Does it matter which one is default? No, I'll look for it, I
know it exists, I know what is called, etc.
b) I don't know any browser. I just want to go to google.com or cnn.com
or whatever. I click in the menu where it says Internet Browser, and I
get a very simple browser....thats what epiphany was designed for.

People are obsesed with making the most popular browser the default as
if it really were a statement of what browser fedora user like. It is
not, and it shouldn't, in my opinion.

Regards.