Default browser of FC3?

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Tue Oct 12 12:35:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 14:40, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 13:19 +0200, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> > On 10/10/2004 03:35 AM, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> I read the thread. Are you reading my questions? I didn't ask anyone
> "Why should Firefox be the default?", I use firefox regularly, I know
> how good it is, and I know why it will be convenient to used it as
> default browser.

Why not use it as default for Fedora then?

> But what I asked was "Whats wrong with epiphany?" and when you extended
> the dicussion to "Why not *insert my favorite browser here*?" you
> changed the discussion.

No, no change in the discussion, I just wanted you to open your eyes for
the alternatives a bit. When deciding a default for a distribution, you
have to go through *all* alternatives, not just one, or a very selected
few.

> > First, I think the "tightly integrated to Gnome" is irrelevant as Fedora
> > is not a Gnome only distribution.
>
> Well if Fedora includes Gnome and Gnome is designed to be tightly
> integrating, then it is relevant to Fedora. The same thing happens with
> KDE. If KDE is designed to be flexible and customizable, then Fedora
> shouldn't break that user experienced.

But it is breaking the user experience for Kde users by having a tightly
integrated (in Gnome) Gnome application as a systems default. I do not
think that the Kde users appreciate this.

Perhaps a systems default is a bad choice, perhaps we should have one
default for Gnome, one for Kde, one for xfce, and so on.

> I disagree again, popularity is important for deciding what to include,
> but its meaningless for the "default application" issue. Defaults are
> for newbies. An experienced user will use his preferred application, no
> matter what the default is.
>
> An new user shouldn't need help using the browser... thats the whole
> point of using epiphany (or any simple browser).

The majority of new users come from the Windows world. These are used to
certain level of functionality in browsers (and other applications as
well), why give these an application that have less function than the
browsers they are used to?

The number of total computer newbies that never have sat behind/in-front
of a computer, and start using Linux, is very low. The vast majority
have experience from Microsoft Windows. That is the reality, at least
from where I come.

So the default should reflect what most people use, and want to use.

On what grounds was Epiphany selected as Gnome default, and on what
grounds has it been selected as Fedora systems default?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/