python2.2 -> python2.3

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 04:20:21 UTC 2004

Alan Milligan wrote:

> Warren Togami wrote:
> | We can still accept fixes if they are critical or obviously good fixes.
> |   Please file one Bugzilla report per issue and CC me, and I will sort
> | through them.
> |

> What we have here doesn't really qualify as bugs.  Our stuff falls into
> two major components; (i) implementing the following macros:
>
> %pythonprefix /usr
> %__python %{pythonprefix}/bin/python
> %pythonversion %(python -c 'import sys;print(sys.version[0:3])')
> %pythonpath %{pythonprefix}/lib/python%{pythonversion}
> %pythoninclude %{pythonprefix}/include/python%{pythonversion}

Sorry, these changes are too invasive at this point, and even
potentially wrong.  What about multilib?

> and (ii) upgrading up2date to connect to our Zope xml-rpc server.
>
> For (i) we've a plethora of spec file changes to override much source
> code expectation of /usr/include/python2.2 etc.  Please advise as to if
> and how you'd like us to help integrate this.

Case by case basis.  File one report per package, with suggested spec
patch and explaining exactly what it changes and why.

> We also made the following changes to up2date-4.3.19:
>
> ~   *  range of indescriminate bug fixes
> ~   *  remove OpenSSL module dependency in preference of native socket ssl
> ~   *  remove rpclib and the user proxy cruft.  xmlrpc supports basic
> http authentication and it's quite unncecssary to implement custom
> transports.

Also too late now for FC3.  If you really cared about these issues, you
should have communicated with us long ago rather than sit on the changes.

If you file it now, we can probably integrate it before FC4 if your
changes and reasoning are technical sound.  But you will need to
convince the maintainer(s) of up2date and python, as I have very little
to do with those components.

> I'm having a look at the 4.3.40 update now, and am already dismayed to
> discover that the listPackages() rpc call has been changed from a POST
> to a GET - which is causing a range of issues as I'm unconvinced as to
> the xml-rpc compliance of this change.
>
> These are quite significant changes, both technically and strategically,
> and I do think that CVS access and collaboration with your development
> staff would represent the best way forward in integrating these features
> and ensuring up2date remains a generic client.
>
> There are also a range of other python-related issues that need to be
> addressed within FC.  For example: why is there a python2.2 interpreter
> embedded within the OpenOffice suite??

No idea.  Please ask Dan?

It does seem that you put a lot of effort into this, but I am sorry that
it is just too late for FC3.  I am interested in seeing your individual
reports and proposals for FC4 target.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com