ACPI suspend to RAM in FC3T3

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Oct 17 22:07:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 18:02 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 21:23 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > urk... ill be out killi'n if my laptop suspended on me just by closing
> > the lid.... there is a reason most of them has a separate "suspend"
> > button (and a power button (shutdown) and a lid button (monitor)).
>
> We've had suspend on lid close forever I think. Seems like even RHL 7.x
> did this. Of course you can turn it off if you like.

But this wasn't made by the OS, rather by the APM BIOS (I think).

> > For instace my laptop chrashes when i try to get it back out of s3...
> > Just imagine. Sombody is writing on an important doc. Then sombody else
> > slams the laptop shut... Ugh...
>
> In any sane universe, the proper fix for that is to avoid crashing on
> unsuspend ;-)

Even if you hate configurability ;-P, this should be made configurable.
Sometimes I just want to leave that thing running and still be able to
close the lid, e.g. when I use it as a giant Ogg-Player substitute :o).
In that case, it would be useful if it DPMSed the screen or something
like that, xscreensaver should be temporarily reconfigured to only blank
for extra points ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com