Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Jamie Zawinski jwz at jwz.org
Sun Oct 17 23:02:42 UTC 2004

Warren Togami wrote:

> This has NEVER worked for root.  It has something to do with
> xscreensaver not being very secure.

By which you meant, of course, "xscreensaver is behaving securely by
refusing to allow you to do something that is inherently insecure."

> In any case you shouldn't be logging in as root anyway.  You should
> use su or sudo when you need root functions.

Yes.

Paul Ionescu wrote:

> Well, I know that, but it works fine in KDE.

Then feel free to use KDE.  Just because they made a bad decision
does not mean that xscreensaver will ape it.

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz at jwz.org             http://www.jwz.org/