Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Oct 19 01:06:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 08:32:13PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Maybe SuSE or Mandrake's scary red background if you login as root is a
> > good idea.  Should we implement that for RHEL4?
> Disable root graphical logins.
> Period.
> make it so gdm or kdm or xdm just exit.

Or do it what I do -- make it launch a minimalist environment which presents
only the user manager tool, and some text explaining how to create a normal
user with administrative access. (We also configure the wheel group with sudo
and usermode sudo-like power, but that wouldn't be strictly necessary.)

> hell, you could make the xinitrc script handle it:
> if your uid is 0 then you throw up a hate-filled messaged and exit.

That's what we used to do. Well, except instead of 'hate-filled', it was
educational. And there was a 'okay, let me do it anyway' button that you
could pick after 30 seconds.

> EOD.

Heh.